This is so sad!
Melissa George has spoken out about the night in September last year when she was left bruised and bloodied by her parter Jean-David Blanc in an interview with Channel 7’s Sunday Night.
Now, the actress is fighting to return to Australia but is unable to leave France as she’s involved in a bitter custody battle with her former partner. Blanc has the pair’s two sons on alternate weeks and has been questioning her parenting with cruel text messages:
“I receive text messages from him saying ‘You’re destroying my baby by breastfeeding him. You need to put your boobs in a bag.’”
“(But) who decided to take a baby, who is being breastfed, from its mother?”
Blanc also taunted George with photos of an engagement ring, something she thought she wanted from him before splitting:
“I received an email from him on my son’s first birthday and it said basically ‘Shame for you’ with a photograph of an engagement ring and said, you know, ‘I was going to ask you to be my wife.’
“He knew that’s what I wanted but he sent that picture to hurt me.”
Following the couple’s fight, both were found guilty of assault. George told the program there were some signs that things weren’t going to work out between them including a document that Blanc wanted George to sign before the birth of their first son. The document demanded their child be circumcised and that they were to live in France and their children would be raised as Jewish. The actress never signed the document, but knew something wasn’t right.
“I have a problem. And my problem is that I know things are not good. But don’t worry, it’s gonna be good tomorrow. It’s not good today, but tomorrow you’re gonna be OK.”
The night of the incident, George confronted Blanc when he came home late and woke her up:
“After years of just that, I just started yelling at him. ‘Like, you have to understand what I’m going through, as well’ and then it just escalated into a 27-minute fight.”
“It started with him on top of me with my arms locked above my head. I used my feet to get him off me for five minutes. I wet the bed. I wet the floor. I just went into a crazy. It was just a moment of like, ‘I’m in deep s***’.
“I fought as hard as I could. He pushed me into the door, and then struck my face and I hit the wall and fell on the floor and I was out. Just out. And he stood over me and said, ‘Now you’re a real actress’. And I was like ‘OK’.”
Now, George is fighting to leave France so she can get work and support her boys:
“First and foremost, I’m a mother. That’s the biggest role that I’ll ever have in my life.”
“The other roles are secondary. So I said to the judge, ‘You can take everything away. I don’t mind. I understand. I will stay with my kids.’ But how can I support them?”
Their case first went to court in October and was finalised last month with both receiving fines for attacking the other. Blanc was ordered to pay $1400 in compensation to George as her injuries would merit 11 days off work under French law, while his would only merit one. George was initially told to pay $7000 to Blanc, but it was suspended and she only had to pay a token one euro ($1.40 AUD).
Blanc’s lawyer insists he was only defending himself against George’s attack.